To avoid blocked drains, do the following:
- Cotton buds, baby wipes and sanitary items must be disposed of in the appropriate bin
- Put a strainer in sink wastes and soil wastes
- Pour grease into a disposable container, leave it to solidify, then put it in bin
- If for any reason you have to pour grease or a thick substance down the drain, leave hot water running for some time in the sink to rinse it down
If you want to try clearing a sink blockage yourself you can use a plunger.
Top Tip: When plunging a drain remember to cover the overflow with a cloth so the blockage doesn’t shoot out of there, making a mess.
Call us if you have tried the plunger and the blockage still does not dissipate. We won’t charge you a call out fee. Further investigation may be needed to resolve the blockage. We will:
- Check the drains in the locality for blockages by checking waste and outside manhole
- We may put a dye in the system to see where the blockage is
- We will usually be able to clear the blockage for you